Kenechi

Kenny Loves to Read

I'm an avid reader and I also love to write. Hopefully my reviews will help people find their next favourite book.

The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater
Don Quixote
John Ormsby, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race - Reni Eddo-Lodge

It doesn't matter your race, age, class, gender, I would recommend everyone reads this book. Whether or not you agree with everything the author says (I know I don't), you'll be sure to learn something new about the topic and reality of racial discrimination in today's British society, you'll question yourself over things you hadn't ever stopped to consider and you will see the world a little differently. The most harrowing chapters for me were the first two which were based on the history of slavery in the UK and the institutional racism people of colour still face today. As a black woman working in a very white male dominated construction industry I find myself in awkward situations which quite a lot of people seem to be comfortable with or have no recognition of, which echoes a lot of what Reni has written about. The struggle is very real but I want to believe that books like this, controversial as they may seem, will continue to keep the debate alive and relevant and not just turn the subject of race into a box ticking exercise as we so often see. Well worth the read.