Kenechi

Kenny Loves to Read

I'm an avid reader and I also love to write. Hopefully my reviews will help people find their next favourite book.

The Girl with All the Gifts
M.R. Carey
Last Rituals
Yrsa Sigurðardóttir, Bernard Scudder
Don Quixote
John Ormsby, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Long read but worth it

Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I read a lot of positive reviews about this book so I was expecting a lot from it. I’m pleased to say I wasn’t disappointed. I lived in Nigeria until my late teens so a lot of the conversations and scenarios were familiar and instilled nostalgic feelings in me. The version I read was nearly 500 pages long with rather small font size so it took forever to read, but I eagerly picked up the book every night because I wanted to know what would happen to Ifemelu and Obinze. If I’m being entirely honest, I never warmed up to Ifemelu as a protagonist but the fact that I didn’t like her as a character doesn’t mean the story isn’t good. She’s very flawed and very real and fits into the tale very well. For me, Obinze was the character that kept my hopes alive. I also wish the end had turned out differently, not that it was predictable, but I thought it needed more of a hit to round it off. Just my opinion. You might disagree when you read it. Highly recommended.